- Energy rating
Freehold Development/Investment Opportunity at Combe Park Car Park, Bath, BA1 3NE
- Freehold interest, subject to the existing tenancy (£16,000 pa)
- A gross site area of approximately 0.97 acres (including Potential Expansion Land)
- Sought after, affluent residential location
- Extant Planning Consent (1998) for a 34-bed residential nursing home provides precedent for redevelopment
- High level feasibility plans for a care home (71 Bedrooms) apartments (34 Units) or townhouses (7 Units)
- For sale by Informal Tender with both unconditional and conditional (subject to planning) offers considered
The site offers a fantastic development/investment opportunity on the outskirts of Bath city centre. The site is situated to the west of Combe Park and occupies a broadly rectangular parcel of land currently being used as a car park.
The site is gravel surfaced and fully enclosed with a barrier entrance. Mature trees are located on the eastern and southwestern boundaries which provides significant screening from the surrounding uses.
The site is bounded to the north by the access road and Lansdown Cricket Club, to the east by Combe Park and existing residential properties, to the south by existing residential properties and to the west by SJF Almshouse accommodation.
Vehicular and pedestrian access is from Combe Park to the west of the site. The road is well used, providing direct access the A4 (Upper Bristol Road).
The sole access into the site is via an access road off Combe Park.
The site is currently used as a car park. There is an extant planning permission granted under 98/00801/FUL for both the Almshouse (54 flats), now constructed, but also a three-storey residential nursing home (34 beds) on the site.
As a brownfield site within the built-up area of Bath, the principle of redevelopment of the site is supported and this has been established both from previous planning permissions and historic pre-application discussions (see Data Room).
A brownfield site such as this is considered to be a windfall opportunity. Potential alternative land uses considered to be acceptable in principle include residential care home, health, hospital, senior living; residential including houses, flats, build to rent; and student/key worker accommodation. B&NES recently confirmed that the principle of redevelopment for care provision was supported and encouraged.
The site is significantly well screened on its eastern and southern boundary to surrounding residential properties. The site is not specifically allocated but will need to comply with policies regarding tree preservation orders and heritage. A three-storey scheme is likely to be acceptable given the immediate surrounding area with the potential for four storeys if appropriately positioned within the site.
The site is subject to an existing lease, let to Royal United Hospital (RUH) on a 5-year lease from 22nd July 2021 (expiring on 21st July 2026). The passing rent is £16,000 per annum (with the provision of a rental increase if RUH’s two hourly parking charge increases, linked to a formula).
The lease is subject to a rolling mutual break option on 6 months notice and excludes the security of tenure provisions of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954.
Bath is a small, affluent spa City located in the southwest of England, situated approximately 21km (13 miles) southeast of Bristol and 185 km (115 miles) west of London.
Bath is located approximately 13km (8 miles) south of Junction 18 of the M4, via the A46 trunk road. Bath also benefits from the A4 which links the City to Bristol from the west and Chippenham to the east, as well as the A36 Lower Bristol Road connecting Bath to Trowbridge, Warminster and Frome.
Bath Spa Railway Station provides regular direct services to Bristol (approximately 12 minutes) in addition to a high-speed rail service to London Paddington, with an approximate journey time of 1hour 25 minutes.
The site is situated to the west of Bath City Centre, with access provided off Combe Park. The surrounding area is predominately residential in nature and consists of detached and semi-detached dwellings. Lansdown Cricket Club is situated immediately north of the site, with Royal United Hospital sitting just behind.
Director - Residential Development
JLL for themselves and for the vendors or lessors of this property whose agents they are, give notice that:
- The particulars are set out as a general outline only for guidance and do not constitute, nor constitute part of, an offer or contract;
- All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permissions for use and occupation, and other details are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers, tenants or third parties should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but satisfy themselves that they are correct by inspection or otherwise;
- No person in the employment of JLL has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to the property;
- Any images may be computer generated. Any photographs show only certain parts of the property as they appeared at the time they were taken;
- If the Property is in Scotland, this correspondence is expressly subject to completion of formal legal missives in accordance with Scots Law.
© 2024 Jones Lang LaSalle IP, Inc.